>> Registration discount for AIRTH Encyclopedia contributors (details below)
>> Optional Wednesday, September 11: Attendance of International Mountain Conference with keynote on “overtourism” and tourism workshops
>> Thursday, September 12: stand-up presentations at University of Innsbruck and optional International Mountain Conference event
>> Friday & Saturday, September 13 & 14: road trips to innovative businesses for industry insights and additional stand-up presentations on site.
>> Tentative road trip venues: Area 47 | Swarovski Crystal World | Witches’ Water | Hohe Salve
Goals and Topics
The AIRTH 2019 conference focuses on – but is not limited to – innovation and entrepreneurship research and development that enable destinations and tourism service providers to succeed in a competitive environment in a sustainable way. The conference serves two main goals:
1. Facilitate the exchange of ideas on innovation and entrepreneurship research
2.Provide on-site experiences to learn about entrepreneurial and innovative practices for research and teaching
The conference covers the following areas:
- Business models – fostering and supporting sustainable business model innovation
- Human resources and leadership – enabling sustainable innovation and entrepreneurship
- Experience design – design settings for sustainable innovation and entrepreneurship success
- Governance – actors, roles and relationships supporting sustainable innovation and entrepreneurship
- Productivity & scalability – effectively and efficiently delivering sustainable innovation
- Operations – service operation aspects facilitating sustainable innovation
- Innovation and entrepreneurship science – state-of-the art-in tourism and hospitality
- Open platforms for innovation – open systems supporting and enabling sustainable innovation
- Technology – improving service quality and experiences
- Customer insights – learning about actions desired by consumers
Notes for practitioners:
We encourage submissions of case studies, best practices, “lessons learned”, particularly related to:
- Challenges in an innovation project and how they were overcome.
- How to measure success and failure of innovation projects?
- How to communicate with stakeholders and secure their continued support?
Notes for academics:
We invite scholars to submit abstracts relating to one of the above-listed sub-streams/topics.
- Both empirical and conceptual studies are welcome.
- Reviews, empirical studies of innovation and entrepreneurship and behavioral work are particularly welcome.
Host City, Venues & Organizer
Innsbruck, Austria is located in the heart of the alps and is the capital of the state Tyrol. The local airport (INN) is 20 minutes from downtown by city bus (EUR 3) and the local train station is in walking distance to the university and downtown. The conference is organized by AIRTH and Martin Schnitzer, Senior Scientist in Sport Tourism, University of Innsbruck. Presentations take place at the university and at select venues in Tyrol we visit as part of the road trip experience.
- Best academic presentation
- Best practitioner presentation
- All abstracts must be submitted through this online form:
- The committee selects abstracts on a competitive basis.
- At least one author has to register for the conference; max two presentations per author.
- Authors keep the copyright. Abstracts are only published in a conference program.
- Keep abstracts to max 1 page single-spaced, 12pt including up to five (5) references. ONLY use these templates:
- Abstract submission: Sunday, March 17, 2019, at 23:59 Central European Time.
- Acceptance notification: latest Sunday, March 31, 2019.
AIRTH 2019 local organizer Martin Schnitzer, University of Innsbruck, Austria
AIRTH Co-Chair Dejan Križaj, University of Primorska, Slovenia
AIRTH Co-Chair Florian Zach, Virginia Tech, USA
Gunnar Þór Jóhannesson, University of Iceland, Iceland
Juan Luis Nicolau, Virginia Tech, USA
Stephan Reinhold, Lineaus University, Sweden
Carina Ren, Aalborg University, Denmark
Vinod Sasidharan, San Diego State University, USA
Iis Tussyadiah, University of Surrey, UK
Zheng Xiang, Virginia Tech, USA
- EUR 300 full rate
- see AIRTH encyclopedia contributors' discount below
- EUR 250 for PhD students (documentation/proof required)
IMC opportunity and AIRTH encyclopedia discount
International Mountain Conference 2019 offer for Wednesday-Thursday, September 11-12
- AIRTH participants can attend the IMC events for EUR 100
- Olivier Henry Biabaud on “Mapping the growing overtourism sentiment in Europe: what residents tell us”
- Workshop examples (more are available https://www.uibk.ac.at/congress/imc2019/program/):
-- Adapting tourism destinations to changing availability of resources
-- DMOs and Destination Governance in Transition
-- Managing major sports events in mountains – impacts, issues and development
-- Integrating agricultural and tourism supply chains for boosting marginal Mountain areas
- To have your abstracts considered for participation in the workshops – a 3-5 minute talk per abstract – please submit your abstract here: www.conftool.com/imc2019. Note: the deadline is February 10, 2019
AIRTH Encyclopedia contributor’s thank-you discount
- Authors of an encyclopedia.AIRTH.global contribution since AIRTH 2017 (March 2017 in Portoroz, Slovenia) receive a EUR 50 discount.
- You can still submit contributions latest by the abstract submission deadline to email@example.com.
- See examples here and check the instructions – key focus: laymen’s English. If approved, the discount will be applied.
AIRTH was founded in 2017 as a global network of innovation-minded practitioners and researchers in tourism & hospitality with the goal to drive innovation and entrepreneurship research and spur innovation projects. Its mission is to foster interdisciplinary research to develop and implement innovations that contribute to the sustainable development of destinations and tourism & hospitality businesses. To create and disseminate knowledge AIRTH engages in two activities:
>> Dedicated bi-annual AIRTH conferences (first one was 2017) and partner with established conferences in off years (ATLAS in 2018)